Which are the noble gases?
The noble gases are:
- Helium, He
- Neon, Ne
- Argon, Ar
- Krypton, Kr
- Xenon, Xe
- Radon, Rn
- Oganesson, Og
Noble gas structure
All the noble gases have a full valence shell.
- He: 2 valence electrons
- Ne, Ar, Kr, Xe, Rn, Og: 8 valence electrons
Full valence shell = extra stable
- The noble gases ar inert (they don’t react with anything).
- The noble gases are mostly found in their pure (noble) form.
Some common characteristics
- Color-, odorless (oganesson: unknown)
- Very low melting points
- Cooling agent (–269 °C)
- ”Fun things”
- Lights (neon lights)
- Welding: Prevents the oxygen in the air from reacting with the metal.
- Incandescent bulbs: Atmosphere with Ar + N2, prevents the filament from combusting.
- Harmful for smokers.
- The heaviest (and last?) element of the periodic table.
- Characteristics: Highly radioactive, otherwise unknown